If a four or five-hour open bar is not within your budget, there are plenty of less-costly alternatives that won’t offend your guests:
- Offer beer, wine and soda only.
- Offer a full bar during cocktail hour then have beer and wine for the rest of the evening.
- Decide on one type of drink to serve – either a specialty cocktail, champagne, or one type of beer or wine. Most venues will charge significantly less to serve only one type of alcoholic beverage.
- Bring your own! There are plenty of venues that do not have liquor licenses and will allow couples to bring in their own. Anything unopened can be returned for a full refund after the wedding.
- Work with your caterer to have it based on consumption rather than per person open bar.
- Invite less people to your wedding. This is the most effective way to cut wedding costs across the board.